MUSIC AND ARCHITECTURE
To Morton, music is an essential component of daily life. Morton’s musical interests were influenced by his mother during his early childhood, took shape during his college days of choral singing, and reached new heights when he chaired the committee overseeing the development of the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center. Today, he finds joy in music in many ways.
Morton surrounds himself with incredible works of architecture – the flavor of which is undeniably eclectic. Morton’s home — known as “The Power House” — is a world of rich architecture where industrial style is uniquely preserved in a manner that somehow embraces the warmth of a home. In contrast, his office space, just across the street, exudes modernality with vaulted ceilings and open work spaces wrapped in brilliant colors and textures.
THE MORTON H. MEYERSON SYMPHONY CENTER
The Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center opened in September of 1989 (The Mort: Mort Meyerson gets Recruited) and has been a crossroads of artistic excellence ever since. Owned and managed by the City of Dallas, Office of Cultural Affairs, “The Meyerson” is home to the world-class Dallas Symphony Orchestra and other Dallas-based cultural organizations like the Turtle Creek Chorale, the Dallas Wind Symphony and the Greater Dallas Youth Orchestra.
THE MORRIS BEACHY SINGERS
The Morris Beach Singers was a world–class choir that united individuals from all over the nation who previously sang with Dr. Morris Beachy during his 36–year tenure (1956—1992) at the University of Texas and the Austin Choral Union, a community group founded by Dr. Beachy in 1964. Morton first sang with Dr. Beachy in 1956 as a member of the Acapella Choir at the University of Texas. In 1996, Morton joined the Morris Beachy Singers and participated in three European tours and a concert held at the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center.